Overload Policy for EHRA Employees
An overload must conform to the following parameters:
1. It is accomplished as a one-time lump sum payment in a fixed amount that compensates a specific piece of work.
2. It is typically used to compensate added duties of a relatively short duration (e.g., less than 30 days) but may also be used for duties that extend over a longer period of time when compensated at a fixed dollar amount, such as teaching a class or providing a specific deliverable such as a special report or study.
3. It is generally awarded for work performed external to an employee’s base unit. It may be awarded within the base unit only in extraordinary circumstances, such as a faculty member teaching a class due to the unexpected absence of a colleague or in the case of a critical University business need that cannot be reasonably met through any other means.
4. The total of a full-time employee’s overload pay in any fiscal year may not exceed 20% of their July 1st base salary if in a 12-month appointment or 25% of base salary in a 9-month appointment, unless an exception is granted by the applicable central office.
a. Exceptions should be non-routine and must be approved by the Academic Personnel Office (for faculty) or the Office of Human Resources for (EHRA Non-Faculty employees).
b. Blanket exceptions to a specified work unit may be granted by the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost (for faculty) or the Vice Chancellor for Workforce Strategy, Equity, and Engagement (for non-faculty employees) when deemed necessary for the conduct of University business.
5. The overload limits in Item IV.4 do not apply to a part-time employee until the combination of their part-time base salary and overload in any fiscal year equals their full-time equivalent (1.0 FTE) salary on an annualized basis. Once this threshold is reached, the normal overload limits noted in IV.4 above shall apply.
6. Individuals who are in a paid or unpaid leave of absence status are not eligible for payment of overload.Overload Activity Approval Form Overload Submission Schedule